This seven hour experiential course introduces Craniosacral Therapy through its history and philosophy along with an emphasis on foundational anatomy and physiology for the craniosacral system and connective tissue fascia. Lecture, demonstration, and practice techniques explore and treat joints, fascial diaphragms, and fluids. Techniques will utilize basic osteopathic principles pioneered by Dr. William Sutherland and introduced to therapists by Dr. John Upledger. In addition, this course teaches exercises in mindful attention with the goal of understanding embryological patterns for growth, health, and balance. Discovering palpable disturbances in core health patterns enable the therapist to identify root causes of dysfunction that arise through injury, trauma imprints, genetics, disease and other causes. Gentle, corrective Craniosacral Therapy techniques for the body are then introduced and practiced that dissipate pain while increasing range and function. Therapists will gain a foundational understanding of the history, philosophy, anatomy and physiology of the craniosacral system, utilizing this knowledge to practice a systematic, experiential approach to evaluate the craniosacral rhythm, its overall health, restrictions, and effects throughout the body. Therapists will develop listening skills to achieve autonomic connection and correction while performing techniques to assess and treat the vertical midline, pelvic, respiratory, thoracic, and cranial diaphragms, heart-C3 fulcrum, atlas occipital joint, and cerebrospinal fluid flow. Integration of techniques into existing practice will be discussed throughout the class.
1. Learn the history and treatment philosophy of craniosacral therapy
2. Name anatomy and physiology of the craniosacral system
3. Palpate the craniosacral rhythm (CSR) health at seven key areas
4. Locate, evaluate and assess CSR restrictions that cause dysfunction
5. Develop mindful attention zone awareness and midline postural analysis
6. Discover and perform embryonic heart/ heart fulcrum technique
7. Discover fascia anatomy and physiology – embryonic origins to adult function
8. Discover and perform facial diaphragm release for pelvic, respiratory, thorax and cranium
9. Discover and perform two step atlas-occipital release
10. Discover and perform CSF still point technique
11. Integrate craniosacral therapy into existing practice
Course manual is included with tuition. Please bring your massage table and wear comfortable clothing.